The day started very early with two little tiny ladies coming to join me in bed, at 0600 promptly. I had learned my lesson from yesterday and made sure I had 2 devices Netflix-ready in order to stay in bed until 0700! 😉
We then got up and I received a request from a fairy and a princess for some pancakes. My go-to recipe lately has been this Whole Wheat Greek Yogurt Pancakes by Veggies by Candlelight. I make mine with vanilla protein powder (for 1/2 the amount of whole wheat flour) and vanilla full-fat greek yogurt. There are a few things I don’t buy low-fat and greek yogurt is one of them. This recipe makes enough for 6 smaller pancakes, just perfect for the girls and I this morning.
We then took off for some more grocery shopping and I bought what I missed to make a version of this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup from Edible Sound Bites. I made mine a little different since I was using my InstantPot.
Here’s what I did:
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and seeds removed, cubed
- 1 large Spanish yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup almond/coconut milk
- 1tsp mild curry powder
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- In a large bowl, toss the squash and onions with olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and empty the bowl out, making sure the veggies are in an even layer. Sprinkle mild curry powder on vegetables. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through, until veggies are tender and golden brown.
- Transfer the roasted squash and onions to InstantPot; add the chicken stock and almond/coconut milk. Set on “Soup” for 40 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release.
- Purée the soup using an immersion blender or working in batches with a blender(I used my VitaMix and was done in no time) or food processor until you have a silk smooth soup. Careful it is pipping hot! Adjust seasonings to taste.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and top with 1-2 tbsp pomegranate seeds.
While this was cooking, I took the girls to a furniture store to have a look at some more sectionals for our living room. I’ve seen a few that could do, but since Ben is away, I haven’t made a decision or a purchase yet. Béatrice wanted to show she was very polite upon entering the last store we went to and proceeded to taking off her boots at the door. A few seconds later, she also took off her jacket. That’ll teach me to get her to take her shoes off as soon as she sets foot in the house! I guess she thought we were in a big house since the store was carpeted and there were couches and furniture all over the place! 😉
We came home to a ready to be puréed soup and after I quickly got this out of the way, we enjoyed a little burst of sunshine after a few days of rain and went to play outside (the girls) while we raked some leaves (me). For a small property without any big tree on it, I managed to fill half of our city compost bin and I didn’t even rake the entire yard. The rest will have to wait, maybe when the girls wake up from their nap. For now, Rina has asked me to make her this hat, in purple and white:
I must brush up on my crochet technique and cast on while it’s somewhat quiet in here!